Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Projects- P & P Viewing Party





I (Betsy) spent a while on the not-so-exciting task of measuring, cutting, and tying (Thanks for the help, Kayla!) embroidery floss for 17 students to make friendship bracelets during a special event at school this week.  I am just hopeful that the students will be able to follow the directions that I show them and not all of the bracelets will end up in knots.

I (Katie) worked the whole time on my Christmas cards...and only got about half done.  Here is the finished result.  It took a couple more days, but they are finally ready to mail.
I love the mess that we made over the course of the evening :)

One of the things that I (Betsy) love about our Book Club is how we have utilized the idea of keeping our hands busy while we visit and discuss our books or watch the movies.  We feel useful when we can multitask and work on projects that we enjoy while also maintaining good discussion and fellowship.  

When my dad asked how our day was yesterday, I told him how we were all working on various craft projects throughout the afternoon.  He was unimpressed, but I argued that our craftiness was not unlike how our ancestors would have spent their time crocheting, mending, knitting, snapping peas, etc. while visiting with their neighbors and catching up on each others' lives.  

In our technology-driven world of Facebook, cell phones, and so many other forms of impersonal communication, I'm thankful that we can take a few hours a month to sit with each other and enjoy face-to-face discussions.  The fact that we are able to creatively use that time to work on projects makes it all the more richer, in my opinion. The projects on which we were working will become gifts for our family and friends, who will hopefully be blessed by our handiwork, in the same way that we each were blessed by one another's company while we made them. 

4 comments:

  1. I needed the common glitter box today!!!! Thanks for sharing yesterday, Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love your thoughts on how we use our time during book club, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you buy a book and tear it up for wrapping. Looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of us have torn up old book pages to decorate ornaments. The ones featured on our blog were made by Kayla. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete