Sunday, November 13, 2011

We Eat Well at Book Club

I (Betsy) didn't have a lot to contribute to our Pride and Prejudice discussion last night due to the fact that I hadn't finished (a.k.a barely started) reading the book.  Oh, I read it a long time ago, but my procrastinating self did not start it early enough this time to read more than 20 pages in time.  I will finish before we watch the movie in December, though.

So, I decided that my main contribution to last night's Book Club was in the way of food.  I do not pretend to be a fabulous cook, but I do enjoy hosting meals and feeding friends.  Here are the recipes that I made for our little group last night.  I apologize for the lack of pictures... I'll have to remember to take some to post later.


White Chili
4 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. vegetable oil
2 cans (15 ½ oz. each) Great Northern beans, drained
6 cups chicken broth
2 (4-oz.) cans green chilies
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. oregano
½ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional- I leave it out)
1 cup sour cream (I used ½ cup)
½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in oil, and add chicken.  Add beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes (or transfer to a slow cooker if you want to just keep it warm.)  Before serving, add cheese and stir until melted.  Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.  Serve with crackers, cheese, and sour cream, if desired.  Double this recipe for a large crowd. 

Yields about 8 servings  

Fudgy Chocolate Chip-Toffee Bars
Photo borrowed from Pillsbury.com
You will find this recipe on Pillsbury.com.  The only alteration I made to their recipe is that I used butterscotch chips in addition to the toffee bits, because I didn't have enough toffee.  I also forgot to add the vanilla, but I don't think any of us could tell.  They are good.  


1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I forgot to get the recipe before I left, and here it is. It was all so GOOD! :)

    ReplyDelete