Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Mansfield Park is about NOTHING

I (we) love this guy. He knows his Jane Austen:

"I spent the entirety of this novel trying to figure out what it was about; I claim--as I have previously--that this is a book about nothing. I think that is the best compliment that I can pay it. I'm going on the assertion that Jane Austen herself was looking at the upper echelon of society (much as Fanny Price was doing) and saying  to herself: there is absolutely nothing going on here.

It's why the characters speak so much about one another. It's why they put on a play that has no point. It's why they go for a long walk in the park; these people are a tragic bore and Austen knew it. It just took me 400 pages and shouting "I'm out!" to get it."


From: Mansfield Park: The Charlie Sheen Chronicles Part III

- Kayla

1 comment:

  1. Out of all the Jane Austen moments that you could've picked on my blog you picked the perfect one. This is where I really lost it. Thank you! I'm still an Austen fan, but I hate Mansfield Park.

    ReplyDelete