Saturday, March 3, 2012

Edmund: Too Good to be True?

Granted, I am only 10% of my way through book. And though I remember this being my favorite Austen book, I don't remember much of it. But it seems to me, Edmund just might be too ideal.

He cares for Fanny in her moments of despair. He buys her a horse.

Fanny describes him as, "an example of everything good AND great..." (emphasis mine.)

He seems to have a generally well established view of love and money. "he (Edmund) was not pleased that her (Maria's) happiness should centre in a large income..."


And I could go on and on...anything to add?


All in favor, say "I."

2 comments:

  1. He buys her a house?! What?! Do you mean a "horse?" Unless your version is different than mine, that is... but since we're both only <10% of the way through, I don't remember reading about a house in the first 7 chapters!

    Other than that, "Aye!" He seems very good. But, I think you will find a fault in him soon, which is why the book will have to last for several hundred more pages. I have a little hope for it, but not loads of hope that I will be successful in finishing it in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, a horse, not a house. I made the addendum, so as to not confuse our fast number of readers.

    Is "I" spelled "Aye"...oh well, this is American English, we spell things however we want here.

    ReplyDelete