Sunday, July 15, 2012

Quotable

I don't know about the rest of you, but this relatively short book in comparison to the others is FULL of thought provoking quotes.

Here's just a glimpse of a few of the greatest:

"...no young lady can be justified in falling in love before the gentleman's love is declared..." (Narrator)

"The mere habit of learning to love is the thing; and a teachableness of disposition in a young lady is a great blessing." (Henry to Catherine)

"I hate the idea of one great fortune looking out for another; and to marry for money I think the wickedest thing in existence." (Catherine to Thorpe - I think)




But my favorite quote in the book as a whole is this (and maybe in describes book club in some small way):

"Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love." (Narrator)


(I think Jane Austen's opinions on love and money, ect was spoken through many of her "heroines," Catherine being one of them.)

Looking forward to our impending discussion.

Kayla

1 comment:

  1. I love your "favorite" quote too. That one jumped out at me early on, and I also thought how ironically fitting it is for our little Book Club! :)

    ReplyDelete